Sunday, November 22, 2009

Love...The Continuum

So, if you didn't read my last post, then you should. If you did and you were confused, perfect; that's exactly what I wanted to happen.

Yes, I am in love. And this new love is for a bike. A bike that I have just purchased as of yesterday. I'll explain. (And I figured I would make this a two in one post to fill you in on the fun activities I have done thus far.) I've been wanting a bike for, hmmm, let's say the past couple years. I never got around to it because I wanted someone to be there while I was looking because I didn't know a thing about bikes. I used Kj's (my sister) bike for a semester and rode it in my room on a trainer because it was much too cold outside and I didn't know how to ride one of those fancy bikes with tiny tires outside. I didn't ride again til this summer (other than on stationary spinning bikes (doesn't count)) and that was only like 3 times because I didn't have enough time due to marathon training.

When I came up to school I knew my friend Zach, who is like the biggest cycling fanatic I know, would actually get me riding outside because he always teased me relentlessly for only riding inside. He invited me and a couple of his other friends to go to Yellowstone on a Saturday to go for a ride. I agreed to go because I needed to go on a legit ride, I had never been to Yellowstone, and it would be just plain fun. I rented a bike from the school and rode it back to my apartment and let me tell you, from that little ride from campus to my apartment I knew I was going to love cycling. We went to Yellowstone and it was amazing!! There was tons of climbing, I believe about 3000-4000 feet. Zach, the cycling pro, was there every "step" of the way to let me know what I needed to do and what not to do making everything much more enjoyable. After we went about 20 or so miles we stopped at an amazing lake for a little picnic and rest. We got going again and it was a blast because what goes up must come down...fewer climbs and more speeding downhill! We even broke the 30 mph speed limit and went around 35 mph!! haha (I told my mom that I didn't have a helmet on!! HAHA) So we ended up riding for about 40 miles and let me tell you, I don't think I could have asked for a better first official ride. I was hooked.




Well, since that ride I never made it back outside on another ride. But I still needed to get that bike. Then one day I made the venture by myself to a couple bike shops in Idaho Falls that had been recommended. I had no clue what I was looking at. I just told them the generals of what I was looking for and I went on a couple rides to test some bikes out. The bike of choice I would have to say was the Felt. There was one in particular that I liked. 2009, Carbon fork and seat stay, and pretty much in the price range I was looking at. BUT then the guy that was helping me told me to hold off because they were getting their 2010s in soon which were full carbon, prettier, and the same price. Two weeks and about 6 calls later the shipment was in. I snagged Zach before he could leave for Thanksgiving break and we headed to check things out. First store had a nice Trek, but not my favorite. Then we went to the store that had what I was after. Funny thing is, when I walked in they knew exactly who I was and I had only been in there once!! haha I love it. Anyway, they brought out the bike and like I said, it was love at first sight. We took it out for a spin and man, it was like butter! The shifting is immediate and it couldn't have been smoother. I was in love.

I was sold then and there. I asked the price just to make sure and you may have guessed it...it was a step up nicer than the other bike I had originally tried, making it more monies. Gosh! I still wanted it. I was convinced it was the one. You can't say no to true love. On the way home I was smiling like an idiot and was almost crying I was so happy! I'm glad I was by myself because of how much I was freaking out. haha I'm pretty sure my roommate was annoyed with me saying, "IT'S SO PRETTY!!" and "I LOVE IT!!" over and over about every minute.

The next morning I went to try the less expensive bike and it was nice, but it wasn't the same. I tried the other, my love, and the shifting had me sold, yet again. It was so sweet!! Everyone in the store knew I loved by the smile on my face after I rode it; there was no questioning it. So I ended up buying it then and there. :D I got $100 knocked off and they're going to give me half off the pedals when I come back in, so I think it was a good deal. Plus, I finally have a bike and it's one that I adore.






So there you have it. That's probably the best purchase I've made in my life. Now let's hope for a short winter.

One other thing I have done is a half marathon; the Halloween Half in Provo. I dressed up as Alice in Wonderland and it came together relatively well. I had to take my wig off at about mile 4 because I was about to die from overheating. I'll just tell you now that this run was the worst run of my life. I don't think it would have been as bad had I actually thought a certain thing through... What I am speaking of was my choice to save others' lives. haha Stupid me gave blood (for the first time) two days before the race. I'm 100% convinced this is why I had as many problems as I did. I could usually run about 6 miles without stopping but I was having problems at about 4. At a certain point I could only fun for about 3 minutes and then would have to stop. My hands were swollen and my fingers looked like sausages. I started seeing spots and felt like I was about to pass out at least 4 times. (Both a lack of blood circulation?!) It was colder than it was in Logan. There was much less water than I was thinking there would be...and it didn't help that it was literally frozen!!! And I thought they were providing us with energy gels, but it was some type of energy drink instead. Lame!


The guy behind me was sweet! Mike. I met him on the bus ride up. He's an basketball player from the 80's. (I'm glad I decided to put my shorts over the lop of my tights.)


But overall, it was a good experience. Now I know what I've been doing right, like getting a massage after, and what not to do, like giving blood the same week or even month before a big event.

Next event planned, a triathlon. It's much smaller than a sprint triathlon, but it's still gunna whip my trash. 400 yd swimming, 6 miles cycling, and 3 miles running. I'm should be good with the running and cycling, but the swimming is a whole different ball park. For now I'll just have to look like an idiot for a while before I get the hang of it. Hopefully I can get some good tips over Thanksgiving break from my cousin Stephanie. 'Twill be grand.

Now you're all caught up on my eventful events of the semester. Happy Thanksgiving. And I leave you with this, uh, picture of myself and Aubie.



:)

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Love the bike Lyd! Also, good job on your half marathon! You're the bomb!!

Unknown said...

Cute bike Lyd! Dustin has a nice bike, too. Good luck on the Tri!

The Cordell Cruiser said...

HAHAHAHA Oh man, I love bikes. hahahaha boy. I am excited for you. Now we will just have to get into Lotoja next year! Congratulations!

Katy Wilson said...

you're adorable. period.

and you're hilarious for hoping for a 'short winter' while living in Rexburg...hahaha...

tacy said...

I love your bike!! I have purple bike that I think was built in the 70's and it has a sparkly seat!! I love it!
I'm glad you posted pictures about your halloween run! You told me about it and I was excited to see you chose alice! I can't wait for Tim Burton's alice!! Hazza!

Lyd said...

Thanks Nicole! :D

Rica - From the last post, I wasn't just shy that year, trust me. I was shy for a solid year and a half longer, but not as severe as it was Freshman year. And I think why Dustin thought I wasn't shy was because I knew you and he was just so easy going.

Zach - I couldn't tell you love bikes so much. ;) I was actually just telling Corrine about Lotoja the other day and how I would love to do it some day. Even doing it as a relay (if they do that) would be sweet. Next year?! We'll have to see about that, but I'm sure you'll be able to do it!! Are you going to apply again?!

;) Katy, a girl can dream. It actually wasn't too bad last year!

Tacy!! I remember you saying something about your bike! That's sweet. Purple is a fabulous color. DUDE!! I can't wait for Alice to come out! It's going to be amazing!