Monday, November 30, 2009

Doctinal Blogessay

For my Doctrines of the Gospel class we were asked to write on a doctrine of choice and write it in any format we wished; a letter, paper, publish it...so my first thought was a blog. I chose the doctrine of Celestial Marriage. I hope you enjoy. (Feel free to pause my music on the sidebar.)


Although I am not endowed, therefore making me unable to understand fully the doctrines of the temple and the covenants that occur within its holy walls, I believe that learning more about celestial marriage will help me cultivate a stronger desire to make this sacred covenant. A celestial marriage within the temple is something I was taught from a very young age; I think it was for every female youth within the church. In Achievement Days and Young Women’s we made a list of everything we wanted in an eternal companion and the goals needed to get that person. To this day I still have that list, not literally, but I have never lost sight of marrying within the walls of, well, I have my heart set on the Las Vegas Temple, but a House of the Lord none the less.



Even if I can’t remember exactly what I had on my list as a youth, I still know what I want. Elder Nelson gave a great analogy as to whom we should choose to be our eternal companion. We can think of finding that certain person as going shopping in a large retail store. A wise shopper would study their options carefully before coming to a firm decision. We should want whose best, perfect even. Someone asked a friend of mine a question about the person she was seriously dating. They asked, “Is he your Prince Charming? Everything you ever wanted? Mr. Right?” My friend replied, “No, but he will do.” Not until separating from her relationship did her friend ask that same question and restate what my friend had previously said. My friend then realized what she had actually said. The person we are looking for to be our eternal companion should be perfect (in our eyes.) They should be everything we want and wish to be; everything that will complete us and make us strive to come to our fullest potential. They should be our “Prince Charming” or our “Princess.”

As we search for our companion we must realize the seriousness of our decision. President Kimball stated, “In selecting a companion for life and for eternity, certainly the most careful planning and thinking and praying and fasting should be done to be sure that, of all the decisions, this one must not be wrong.” I completely agree. This is the biggest decision that a person can make in a lifetime. This single person will be with you for time and all eternity so we must be sure that this person is “the one.” Not until I read a talk by Elder McConkie did I realize the true severity of this decision; he stated:

When we as Latter-day Saints talk about marriage, we are talking about a holy, celestial order. We are talking about a system out of which can grow the greatest love, joy, peace, happiness, and serenity known to humankind. We are talking about creating a family unit that has the potential of being everlasting and eternal, a family unit where a man and a wife can go on in that relationship to all eternity, and where mother and daughter and father and son are bound by eternal ties that will never be severed. We are talking about creating a unit more important than the Church, more important than any organization that exists on earth or in heaven, a unit out of which exaltation and eternal life grow; and when we talk about eternal life, we are talking about the kind of life that God our Heavenly Father lives.

His last statement is what hit me the hardest. A celestial marriage is “more important than the Church… [and] any organization that exists on earth or in heaven.” Wow. When it’s put that way, it really made me realize how important this decision is, a little overwhelming actually, but with faith it can be done. I also love how he said our eternal life is the life which Christ and our Heavenly Fathers lives. This just goes to show our true potential if we strive to live the commandments and keep our covenants with our Heavenly Father; we can grow to be like them.



I have heard it said many times that marriage can be pretty hard, whether it’s the first years or many years into marriage. I love the analogy Elder Hales gave about this matter, “Marriage is like climbing a mountain. You tie yourself to a companion, and you start up the mountain of life…The ropes will hold all of the mountain climbers together. But there are many elements—the wind and the rain and the snow and the ice—all the elements of the world will tear at you to pull you off that eternal mountain.” I understand why people think marriage would be hard; two people coming from semi-different backgrounds, the economy, and maybe even different wants. But why should these make marriage hard? I believe we should find someone now who we can truly talk to about anything without feeling timid. This person should be our very best friend. Although best friends may not share the same opinions at all times, they reach a consensus that would be the best to better the whole. That person who can help you through the tough situations in life is the person who would make a great companion for the eternities. These are some of the characteristics I believe would lessen the stains of marriage and build a strengthened relationship.

Another consideration that must be made while considering a partner for eternal marriage are those whom the marriage will affect. Simply marrying another person will not affect just you and that person, but many others. Elder Tanner said, “Marriage is perhaps the most vital of all the decisions and has the most far-reaching effects…It affects not only the two people involved, but their families and particularly their children and their children’s children down through the many generations.” I truly take this statement to heart because I full heartedly agree. One marriage is the instant joining of two immediate families who may consist of any number of people. For me, this statement is a big deal because I am very close with my family as well as both extended sides of my family. I would want nothing more than my spouse and their family as well, to feel comfortable as members of my family unit. This statement by Elder Tanner also extends to the children that would be produced from marriage. The way children are reared will affect the way they raise their own children. We must love our children unconditionally, teach them the gospel, and be righteous examples for them to follow. With these thing considered, we must choose someone who we believe will bring the ultimate good to the family while striving daily to become perfect in their endeavors.



As we plan to marry within the temple, we must keep all the covenants we will make to keep the promise of an eternal marriage and family. We all know we cannot be perfect in this life, but if we strive to do our best, this will make for a stronger family bond. We also know that if we keep the covenants given us, we will have the opportunity to grow stronger in the eternities. In a talk given by Elder Nelson, he says, “The full realization of the blessings of a temple marriage is almost beyond our mortal comprehension. Such a marriage will continue to grow in the celestial realm. There we can become perfected. As Jesus ultimately received the fulness of the glory of the Father, so we may “come unto the Father … and in due time receive of his fulness.”” What a great knowledge we have. In a celestial marriage, we may not have the perfect marriage that we have always dreamed of, but we must keep in mind what Elder Nelson said, we will continue to grow in the celestial realm and have the opportunity to become perfected.

When I consider all these aspects of a celestial marriage, it is somewhat overwhelming to think of all at once. I know while I am looking for an eternal companion there are certain qualities I will be keen to recognize. This person will believe in the same principles I do and as well as looking for the same characteristics in me as I am in him. While we are looking for a companion, may we remember the councils from our brethren. We must strive to live the commandants and covenants given us to apply for a celestial marriage, seek council and guidance, remember to stay positive, and maybe most important, we need to remember who we are, what we stand for, and just be ourselves.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Gorgeous Pictures!

marleah said...

I heart your blog...you make me teary eyed every time. You are going to be an amazing wife! Whoever snatches you up is one lucky guy!

Lyd said...

Aw, Marleah, you make me smile. I certainly hope I will make some man out there happy. I'm trying my best now to be the best I can. And thanks for letting me snag one of your beautiful pictures off of Facebook unbeknown to you. ;) It was just one of your many beautiful pictures that I couldn't pass up! :D

tacy said...

Love it! How do you get graded for this? I'd give you an "a" but I might be bias :)

tacy said...

PS: You should check out my newest blog. Well I haven't published it yet but it's written and ready to publish!

Lyd said...

I sent him a hard copy that had like cited work and stuff. He just grades it like any other paper. I just wrote mine as a blog with you as the audience, so that's why it's more informal than a normal paper I would have written. But I did give him my blog address, so who knows if he checked it out of not.

P.S. You're blog post made me cry while I was on the third floor of the library.