Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ladies and Gents: My Marathon

Number 117: Finish a marathon (without throwing up) has officially been marked off in my book of things to do!!! I can't even begin to tell you how amazing this is. Really. It's hard to express complete joy, excitement, wonder, amazement, and so many other little things. I feel like I'm going to explode, really. I'm just so happy.

I'm not sure where to even start. Well, I guess the beginning is always good.

Sometime in December, I decided that I should start running. I pondered this and wondered why I was actually thinking this because I've always hated running! The last time I ran a mile was in 8th grade because I was forced to. K. jk, I'll spare you. This blog would be a year long if I started from there.

First thing about marathons, preparation is KEY!!!! NO joke! I began official training in the middle of May, but I actually started in January to prepare for the training. So, after four solid months of training, it was time to run my marathon. It came up so fast, but I was totally ready for it. People kept asking me if I was nervous, but I had zero nerves. Really. I think it was because I was prepared. I had ran downhill for most of my training and about half of this marathon was downhill, so my knees were already prepared for what was coming. I called Uncle John, being the only marathon runner on the Christensen side, and he gave me some great tips!! I love ya John! He was so excited for me and it made me that much more excited to run this thang! My cousin Ben also gave some amazing advice. Getting advice from Mr. marathon/crazy Lotoja cyclist man is always a good thing. I got some useful help and a HUGE tip from my friend Zach as well. (The huge tip I will share later.) And I met some really cool people from Pleasant Grove that gave me some good pointers. The lady I was sitting next to was about to run this marathon for the 9th time! Amazing. And they guy across from me had just ran a 100 mile (not relay) race the month before. So needless to say, I was in great company with knowledgeable people.

___________________________________

Um, I wrote that above stuff on September 21st, a week after my marathon and it is now clearly over a solid month since that time. Oops. So I'll tell you about my marathon. This is gunna be fun and very long. As Samuel L. would say it, "Hold onto your butts." (name that movie.)


Time for bed!! The Moose is always there when I need him.


Hmmm. Well, waking up in the morning at about 4-4:30 (after falling asleep just after 11 (I wanted to go to bed around 9)) I got ready and was fit to go!! My dad drove me to Logan to the shuttle buses where I sat on the bus next to an older lady from Bountiful, UT. Talking to her made me realized that I was very prepared and that I should have nothing to worry about. It was kinda funny because I was the one giving her advise and I had never even ran anything more than a 5K. But, because of my preparation I was confident in what I was about to achieve. Mind set is everything. Think positive and everything will be ok.


Getting ready for the big run!


Our bus got to the top of the Logan Canyon around 5:30ish where it was still pitch dark and pretty cold. But let me tell you, the sky was beautiful; some of the most stars I've seen in a long time. While waiting I took full advantage of the port-a-potties multiple times. So glad there were about 40 of 'em or else there would have been some long waiting goin' down. After stretching for about 20 minutes (or so it seemed (and showing off my flexibility (HAHAH))) it was about time to get in place. First, let me tell you a quick story about this Kenyan. Crazy sauce. While all of us were standing/jumping around in a giant herd, this guy was running back and forth, up and down hills, many-a-times. He won the marathon of course, finishing in just over 2 hours! See, madness!! Those guys blow my mind. Anyway, the gunshot blasted and we were off. As told by John, start at your own pace, don't worry if others pass you because you will soon pass them, and I did just that. While running I ran into (not literally) some of the people I met the night before and had some great conversations with some other folks.

I finally had to make my first stop after running 6 miles straight and take a potty break (which I had been holding since before the gun was shot!!) Off I was again. Oh. So I was thinking that there was going to be some significant downhills because of the elevation that was shown, but I should have known that because it's compressed, it wouldn't be like that. It was still downhill with slight uphills, but not nearly what I was thinking. Anyway, there was this lady who was my running partner, but she had not a clue. She was rocking it!!! She started out ahead of me and I would keep running to catch up with her. She'd walk, I'd almost catch up, and then she'd keep going. I would pass her every once in a while, but she kept me motivated and kept me going. (Picture a dog with a fishing poll attached to his back with a bone in front of his face. That's how it was for me.) But alas, I finally passed her for good after about mile 22. Rewind; back into the canyon. I believe it took me just over 2 hours to run 13 miles, so I was still on track for my goal of finishing the marathon in about 5 hours. Another random thought, GU Energy Gels, my water belt, Gatorade, and oranges where my saving grace throughout the race. I wouldn't have been able to do it without them. One other thing that I came to appreciate is a tail wind. Now those are amazing. It was like I didn't even have to pick up my feet and I swear I was going about double the speed I was going before!! haha


The Moose wanted some Gatorade.


As I was exiting the canyon I was looking for my fabulous parents and roommates (and Tom (one of my roommates' boyfriend)), but they weren't there. I wasn't 100% expecting them to be there, but I figured they would be at mile 17 where they could meet up with a past missionary (Elder Burke Reeder) that served his mission in Vegas when I was a wee-tiny peck of a child. And as I was coming upon that 17th mile marker there they were!! Screaming and cheering. They're the best.

Commercial Break


The one I hug in the orange is the elder who served his mission in Vegas when I was a baby. Pretty fun to see him even if it was for just a second!


After giving hugs and refilling my water, I was back on my way. Here's where things started to get hard. After I ran to about mile 17.5, I hit my wall and man did it hit hard. My stomach felt like it was being squeezed and it was about to explode. I had to walk for a while, with the occasional 10 steps of a jog before I had to walk again. This happened for about a mile to a mile and a half. While I was walking, there was this couple in front of me who was having the same problem, well the girl anyway. I was expecting her man friend to be super encouraging, but he wasn't. "COME ON!! You said you were going to run until the stop sign. LETS GO!" (runs away and turns back) "You need to start running. Just come on!!" Um excuse me? No. (It was worst that that.) This would be the last type of "encouragement" that I would like. That's why I have such amazing family and friends; they're good at giving positive encouragement. Anyway, I decided I would try to go to the restroom, but that helped zero. Then it hit me and I couldn't believe that I didn't think about it before. While I've been training, saying a prayer has always been the number one helper, so now would have been the most important time. So, I said a prayer and I lie not, within a minute I was back to normal and running like nothing happened. It's amazing what a little faith in a prayer can do.

Then I got another little surprise at about mile 20; my parents, with the addition of Ryan and Lauren, my roommates, and Tom where there!! It was so great to see them, especially right after I had the hardest part of my run. I remember this moment so clear. I was smiling my face off as well as maybe dancing a little (with my arms and head) as I was listening/singing to "Low Rider" for probably the second time in a row, and then I looked to my right and there everyone was cheering me on! It was just what I needed to keep me going, especially with only about 6 miles to go!


My support group. (Tom I assume is taking the picture and Ryan and Lauren aren't there yet.)


Now, I might say that other than hitting my wall, these last six were probably the longest miles of the race. Given I was probably running out of energy (the GU, Gatorade, water, and oranges were amazing boosters) but the anticipation of almost being there was getting to me! haha I must thank the the volunteers and community at this time because they were amazing!! They kept me going, they cheered for everyone, some even had their hoses out to cool us off, and they made me smile and giggle. It's kinda funny now that I think about me smiling. I actually had a few spectators say something like, "You're running a marathon and still able to smile?! Now that's amazing!" But if I was doing something that I enjoy then I will smile. I just like smiling in general. Not only does it make me happy, but if I can put a smile on someone else's face, then it makes it that much better.


Probably one of the coolest picture taken of me in my whole life. Sexy. I hope it made you smile.


Ooo! One of my favorite parts of running was probably when I had about 2 miles left. As I was running down a hill, the Logan Temple was in front of me and I remember the sight of it taking my breath away. It was so beautiful. I really wish I had a camera. And I've also come to the conclusion that I like running to old school music. The songs that I would always listen to 2-3 (maybe 4) times in a row were songs like Low Rider, U Can't Touch This, Spanish Flea, Moses Supposes, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, I'm Gunna Be (500 Miles), Stayin' Alive (definite favorite), and It's Tricky, just to name a few. ;) If you're going to train for something and need some good rhythm, I HIGHLY recommend such songs. If you would like to know what else is on my amazing playlist, let me know, because really, it's the best out there. For serious.

The last mile was great. I was seeing people with their medals who would then cheer you on, people would yell out how many blocks were left, knowing that I've almost finished a full marathon was an amazing motivator, I was gunna get a sweet sweet medal soon, I could mark something else off my list, and the thought that I knew my family and friends were there at the end was the icing on the cake. Then the most amazing song came on "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell/MJ. I love running to this song (played multiple times as well), but the thing that made me smile was that I was listening to this as I was running towards the finish line where yes, tons of people were watching me. And something else that made it hilarious was while I was running (further away from the finish line, so less people were watching) I was only looking at the finish line instead of the ground and I stepped into a pothole, making me trip. Fret not, I'm very agile so it was hardly noticable, even after letting out a little "Woop!" haha But before I passed the finish, Madi and Tom were there with The Moose, so I grabbed it and closed the line with The Moose. I'll just let you watch the video of me passing the finish.


Done and did!!


Crossing that finish line is how I see the Second Coming/Millennium. After you've just finished your life, how ever hard it may have been, your family and friends who have already passed as well as the greatest person ever, our Savior, will be there to congratulate you on all your hard work. I love it. So, after I gave my rounds of hugs, I literally skipped over to get my medal. The lady that was handing them out told me that she was amazed that I was SKIPPING after what I had just done. But I was so happy at what I had just accomplished! It's the ultimate feeling. It was glorious.

Another couple surprises came after getting a professional picture taken of me with my medal. Madi and Tom gave me my amazing Berry Lime Sublime from Jamba Juice and then my friend from my home stake in Vegas that I grew up with, Garrett, came to see me at the finish!! I was so happy to see him, but I spared giving him a hug...I was sweaty and stinky, ya know?! haha But I have to say again that I have the greatest family and friends ever. If it be those that were there with me, or my family members in Vegas, AZ, UT, PA, NY, or where ever else who couldn't make it, or my amazing friends in Rexburg, IL, WA, and where ever else who couldn't make it, you all mean SO MUCH to me. Fo realz. All of your words of encouragement really have helped. I couldn't ask more to know such great people. I would thank you all individually, but that would just take way too long. ;) Anyway, here's a little slide show of some pictures that were taken throughout the race. Enjoy. (I have just a little bit more to tell you.)



After getting back to the hotel, Michelle was kind enough to drive the two of us (my parents and the rest had their own cars) back to my house. That was a great trip, needless to say. Anyway, when I got back to the house I was runnin' like a mad house. Explanation, I shall tell you. A couple weeks before my marathon my friend Zach highly recommended that I get a massage, so I called up my boss (I worked at a spa) to see if she could figure something out. So I had an appointment set up and well, seeing as how I wasn't 100% sure when I was going to get back to the house, and I HAD to shower, I ended up being a little late. And also because I was an employee at the spa, I had to set everything up. Unlock the doors, try and turn on the music that never worked, get sheets on the table, and so on. But after getting situated, it was amazing. Although I was only about to got about 35-40 minutes of a massage because of all the set up/being late instead of an hour, it was still the perfect thing to get. So I thank you Zach for pretty much forcing me to get a massage, it did wonders.

And finally, I've always been asked how I was AFTER the race. "Could you walk after finishing or even the next day?!" was one I got all the time. To tell you the truth, I probably felt the best I have felt in a long time!! After I finished the only thing that hurt was my hips and that was because of my tendinitis. That's where the Advil that John advised me to have came in, so thanks John for that and all the other great advice you gave me! It really came in handy! I just want to thank Ben as well because one, he's amazing, and second I hardly knew anything about running and he gave me some fantabulous pointers. So thanks much Ben! The massage and the other suggestion (amongst others) from Zach to eat some berries I'm sure had a huge factor to play in the lack of sore muscles. When I woke up the next morning I was half expecting to fall on my face, but I didn't; it was a normal morning. So thanks Zach for helping me not fall on my face! haha Truthfully, the only thing that kinda hurt were my quads when I walked down the stairs and it was hardly noticeable at that!! AMAZING! haha So if you plan on doing long distance runs or races, take these suggestions, they're great. And if you hear of any others, please let me know. But I'll tell you that I did come away with one blister cause from running with athlete's tape on my toenail so it wouldn't fall off during the race. AND I also lost (I ripped it off (didn't hurt a bit (for reals))) my toenail. Here are some pics of the damages:


Mmmmm.


Doesn't that look so good?!


For serious, hangnails are worse than this!!


So, I am a marathon runner. And I have some big plans up my sleeves. I'm doing a half marathon on Halloween in Provo, planning on possibly doing some tiny triathlons this semester, I want to do Ragnar (a 200 mile relay race) in the summer, and I'm planning on picking up cycling and finding some races to do over the summer. I'm crazy, but I love it.

Thanks for reading, if you even read it all or even attempted!! Sorry, I love detail and this is like my journal, so you're just gunna have to deal with it. ;)

10 comments:

Ben said...

Good work!

Lyd said...

BEN!!! I feel like such a jerk!! I doubt you read it all, but I totally need to thank you for all the amazing advice that you gave me!! Thanks for everything! Love ya cuz! :D

Jordans Jaunt said...

That is freaking awesome that you did a marathon! I cant even run a mile without being sore and feeling like I am about to die. Congrats!

tacy said...

I LOVE that you had the moose with you!! You ROCK!!! Vomit on the toenail thing! I'm going to have to tell Katy to not read the blog cause there is a huge possibility she'd puke if she saw those pictures. haha

Sarah said...

You are amazing!! I am so impressed with you!

My cousin's husband is one of the two guys in charge of the Ragnar relays, and every time I hear about them I want to do one!!

Anyway, just wanted you to know I am so proud of you!

Ryan & Lauren Nelson said...

Yay yay!! We loved being there! It was such a fun thing and we are so proud of you for doing it. Someday I will be with you on the marathon running... Just need to get started and motivated! We are doing the ragnar this summer for sure though! I can't even wait! It will be so fun!

Bree :--) said...

Oh man, you rock!! This post had me not wanting to ever run again at some points (the TOE!!), and wanting to start training at other points. I swear I really want to do it sometime. I'm sooo glad you did, I wish we were there to see you. YAY!

Lyd said...

Thanks Sarah!!

I'm SO excited about Ragnar!! I was freaking out about a couple weeks ago because I was so excited about it! And I'm taking you up on that offer Lauren!! I need as many devoted people as I can get! It's gunna be SO sweet!!

And Bree, the toenail is one of the coolest things!! It's like a rite of passage! Plus, it's already halfway back, so it's all good. ;)

Laura said...

Congratulations!!! That is an amazing accomplishment. The toenail pictures are pretty gross, but I hate feet!! :) Great job!

Unknown said...

This is MICHELLE: Cool toe nail.