Friday, October 16, 2009

Observation

So today while in my English class, sitting in my normal seat, front row in the middle, (I say that because this allowed me to observe what I did, not just to show I'm an attentive student) I noticed something that made me giggle (in my head.) Doing the very thing I was observing, I studied the people sitting in front of our class for our weekly "warm seat discussion." Four of the chosen students to argue were female, while the last sucker was a male. These four ladies all had their right leg crossed with their left hand tucked between their knees or thighs. Are you getting the image? I ask you this; why? Why do we do this? I know I do it, my roommates, and apparently most common people if ALL FOUR girls were doing it. I'm assuming it's a natural habit if my hand naturally slips between my knee without me thinking about it, but why? I don't know if I can speak for my male friends, I haven't had a lot of observation time, and most males cross their legs different from the female species. (And I'm not saying there is a wrong or a right way for legs to be crossed for males.) So next time your waiting in a doctor's office, restaurant, or other place where people sit, see if my observation is in compliance with my observation.

4 comments:

-KJ said...

I totally do this. I swear I started doing it when I got used to Kevin's hand being on my leg, but maybe it was before that and I just didn't notice. I ALWAYS do that when I drive...sans the crossed legs.

tacy said...

haha! I'm totally going to check it out! People watching is probably my #1 favorite activity :)

Amanda said...

i'm guilty as well... but i think i do it because my hands are always cold?

Lauren Nelson said...

ha ha I totally do that all the time too... It is just comfortable or something and it totally helps with keeping my hands warm too