Sunday, September 13, 2009

Truth As We Know It

First, let me just tell you I am SO excited for this semester! I've already had a blast being back and it's only been one week! I've gotten back together with my favorite friends ever (not counting family :) ), I have 3 new roommates that are fabulous, I have AMAZING, amazing classes, and I will be TAing for beginners tap instead of beginners clogging, so that's even better! So, from seeing what's been happening the first week of school, it's going to be astonishing for so many reasons.

Now to business. In my Doctrines of the Gospel class we were talking about having reliable sources for our papers. As an example, my teacher used that ever so popular quote about President Hinckley's generation being the "most righteous." You know the one. If not, here it is:


"You were generals in the War in Heaven and one day when you are in the spirit world, you will be enthralled by those you are associated with. You will ask someone in which time period they lived and you might hear, “I was with Moses when he parted the Red Sea,” or “I helped build the pyramids’” or “I fought with Captain Moroni.” And as you are standing there in amazement, someone will turn to you and ask you which of the prophets’ time did you live in? And when you say “Gordon B. Hinckley” a hush will fall over every hall and corridor in Heaven, and all in attendance will bow at your presence. You were held back six thousand years because you were the most talented, most obedient, most courageous, and most righteous."


Now I ask you the question we were asked, WHO/WHERE did this "quotation" actually come from? Was it from President Monson, President Eyring, or President Packer? Hmmm? Well, those three, among many others, have been attributed to saying this. Elder Packer actually released a statement in 2001 refuting this and then another was just sent out after the death of President Hinckley. Funny how things like this will never die. But to the point, you may be wondering, how did this quote actually come to be? What was the original quotation? Is there a reliable source behind this quote? Well my friends, I have the answer to that question.

The quote from above actually came from a type of youth conference (not sure if it was EFY or not) from one of the teachers. They heard the quote I'm about the share with you from a tape recording, and then shared his own interpretation of the quote. So yes, it got skewed. Here's the original:


"Therefore, though we have rightly applauded our ancestors for their spiritual achievements (and do not and must not discount them now), those of us who prevail today will have done no small thing. The special spirits who have been reserved to live in this time of challenges and who overcome will one day be praised for their stamina by those who pulled handcarts. Those who were righteous in other ages, when the gospel light was snuffed out, will one day commend the current members of the Church who so live that the gospel light increased in its incandescence. Those of ancient Israel who saw many signs and yet episodically relapsed will one day praise those in this dispensation who have believed "because of the word" without being compelled to be humble. (Alma 32:14.) The Lamanites who were righteous in earlier times, especially, will praise their present posterity whose righteousness is bringing a blossoming of their seed. Thus the contemporary righteous will earn the esteem of their admired predecessors. Finally, if we are faithful, even the righteous of the city of Enoch will fall upon our necks and kiss us, and we will mingle our tears with their tears! (Moses 7:63.) Let us, therefore, notwithstanding our weaknesses, be reassured that the everyday keeping of the commandments and the doing of our duties is what it is all about." - Elder Neal A. Maxwell, Notwithstanding My Weakness, 18.


So, there is a likeness with the two quotes, but you can see where it got a little extreme. Anyway, I just thought that was interesting. Dang that game of "Telephone!" Here's a couple other quotes I really like:


True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. - Elder Packer

Programs blindly followed bring us to a discipline of doing good, but principles properly understood and practiced bring us to a disposition to do good. - Glenn L. Pace
(I like this one a lot.)

We might think that God wanted simply obedience to a set of rules: whereas He really wants people of a particular sort. - C.S. Lewis


Man, so good. These can be taken and used through all aspects of life, whether it's through the Gospel, designing, goals, or simply becoming a better person. I need to raise my own personal bar and strive to keep reaching higher.


("Rad Work Aheay")


I think this is going to be good.

4 comments:

tacy said...

Thanks for sharing Lyd! The first quote you mentioned I remember John Bytheway had a tape we were listening to when I was younger and he used that quote and my dad said "That quote was never used! It is a misquote!" And I guess he got in a lot of trouble for not having accurate sources. oops.
DId you take that picture??! haha!!

Bree :--) said...

That's funny. I've totally heard that quote, and didn't know that it wasn't an official quote! ha. Good to know. That road sign is awesome!

Megan said...

dude- i once used that quote in a sacrament meeting talk and had a member of the stake presidency tell me afterward that it wasn't entirely true. thank you SO much for the clarification! and i think the original quote is better! i love reading your blog lyd. always so happy. =) makes me smile. and thank you for the link to the marathon training guide. as soon as it cools down a bit down here- im so on it! <3

Lyd said...

Yeah, my teacher talked about John. haha And yes, I did take that picture. It's like 2 miles away from my house. I had to turn around and take this because it was so awesome!! :D

Megan! I'm glad I can make someone smile. Makes me happy to know. :) Let me know when you start training and if you need any pointers! I would LOVE to help!