Wednesday, February 9, 2011

So Call Me Old Fashioned

Please turn to song 44, Name, just because it's good, it's mellow, and it happens to be the perfect length for this post.

I have been teased relentlessly as of late and because of that, the subject of the teasing has been on my mind.  This teasing mostly happens at work and it's quite entertaining, actually.  Given, I play into it and over exaggerate a lot of things, but it makes the conversation more entertaining.

My boss has the tenancy to bring up my relationship status of being single almost everyday.  My boss is my neighbor as well, so he finds it quite comical to put words into my dad's mouth.  "Oh yeah; your dad told everyone in the ward there is a $500 finders fee if someone can find you a date!"  This phrase has been reworded and rephrased since this summer.  I even gave into what my boss said, thinking he was telling the truth (minus the money part), after a guy across the street came over to get my number for his younger brother so he could set us up.  After giving him my number, I walked to the front porch to go inside only to pass my dad and his friend who were sitting there...as I past them I said something like, "This is ridiculous.  I can get my own dates, thank you."  Honestly, it was a little funny, but after being "hounded" by certain members of my family about marriage (I don't know why because I had/have no prospects), I kinda had it.  Anyway, I told this to my neighbor/boss and he started laughing.  He is the biggest talker ever, so needless to say, I can now call his bluffs.

To avoid detail, what has been on my mind as of late is: why does everyone think it's so weird to be "old fashioned"?!  Maybe it's just the people I work with, but they make me sound like a loony for doing what I do.  I went on a date not too long ago (shocking, I know, and I agree), and when I went to drop something off at my boss's house before I went on my date, I was asked, "Are you going to kiss him?"  Uh, chello!!  NO!  It was our first date!!  I don't kiss people I don't know.  (Well, I knew him, but I didn't know him, if you get what I'm meaning.)

Because I said I would not kiss my date, I am also teased at work for my "dating methods."  You may roll your eyes, but holding someone's hand is "special" for me.  To me, holding hands isn't something you do just to do it; you do it because you like someone.  It's that little way of getting closer to someone and showing them that you care for them.  Given, I shouldn't make a big deal about this, but I kinda want to.  Yeah, I'll keep my stance on it.  As for kissing, I don't get why people think it's not a big deal.  My manger keeps saying, "You have to kiss a lot of toads in life."  But why?!  Why do you have to kiss a lot of people?  I'm laughed at when I say I think a kiss is special.  Honestly, for me, a kiss is a huge deal!  I'll come right out and say it, I've only kissed two people, and I happily admit it.  I don't just "give out" kisses to anyone, especially to someone I hardly know.  A kiss is something that has to be "worked for."  There are moments for giving a kiss and when that time is right, then I'll give it, hoping the person I'm "giving" it to will have respect for it.  I like what President Kimball said, "What do kisses mean when handed out like pretzels and robbed of sacredness?"  I also like that he calls a kiss sacred, because really, it is.  It's an element of respect for the other person and shows them that you genuinely care for them.  It's a moment of surrendering yourself to someone else.

Anyway, I don't want to dwell on this just because I don't think posting relationship type subjects are always appropriate; I just felt like writing what was on my mind.  (And I'm not holding anyone in contempt if they don't think holding hands or kissing is a big deal.  It is what it is and everyone is entitled to their own choices.)

I'm an old fashioned 23 year old who hopes I can find someone just as silly and old fashioned as me.  He's out there somewhere.


 Yes, they are holding "hands" and it's cutie.

6 comments:

Aaron and Megan said...

I am of the same opinion as you Lydia! I feel the same way about kissing and holding hands. It really does mean something. So stand strong and don't let the critics get to you. :) When I first met Aaron I was against kissing, just to kiss. It's funny now, but we didn't connect at first. (Aaron and I had different views on the kissing subject.) Then a year later we actually started dating. Anyway, random tid-bit about me. Hope you are doing well!!

Unknown said...

I think it's totally great to be old-fashioned! I have a friend who's not LDS and has only kissed 1 person so far in her life, and I think it's really commedable. I was Dustin's 3rd kiss EVER and I love that. I think it would be weird to marry someone who has kissed numberless people, it wouldn't make you feel special.

Anyway, you're right. There's someone out there that's just as old fashioned as you, and you'll find eachother when the time is right. And I better get an invite to the wedding!!

Lyd said...

Rika, chello! Okay, duh! Of course you will get an invite...whenever that time actually comes! haha

Megan said...

Lyd-
whomever (whoever? lol) your future fantastically lucky man is will be honored to earn your kisses and hand holds. tell everyone else to go fly a kite. =) we need more women who value themselves enough to have those kinds of standards! it comes when it comes, and when you think in terms of eternity a few years one way or another won't matter much ;) cant wait to hear about your call!!!

your continued admirer (in a totally non creepy way) LOL

<3 meg

c.j. said...

you rock.
I really don't get it either when people seem baffled by someone thinking that kissing or holding someone's hand on a first date is normal or expected or not so bad. I feel just as 'old fashioned' as you are.

c.j. said...

I meant isn't. haha