Have you ever noticed the after effects of putting on lotion? It's quite a significant change that happens to us physically. Try opening a ball knobbed door for example. Something that was so simple before now becomes a daunting task. Considering the excess oil that is lathered all over his body, I'm pretty sure even the world's strongest man would have a problem opening the door. It's funny how something so simple can hinder us almost completely. But it's always fabulous to be silky smooth and not ashy, even if you have to suffer the consequences by not being able to open a door.
I would say the same goes for fear. Something as simple as a thought can deaden our ability to do things we have possibly been ordained to do or become. Why do we fear as human beings? Yes, it is the adversary. 2 Timothy 1:7 They want us to be miserable like unto themselves, but why fear when we have a true knowledge of the Gospel?
I've been contemplating "fear" and "being afraid" for the past couple weeks. By definition, I know, they are the same exact thing, but are they really? For example, I would say, "I'm afraid of large uncovered windows at night." Now, this is not a lasting feeling, I'm not afraid of all windows at night, and it depends on the situation when I become afraid. To me, "to be afraid" is more of an instantaneous, short term feeling; you're scared in the moment, but the feeling can leave you within seconds. But fear is different. Fear is a long lasting emotion of doubt. This feeling is something that lurks in the back of your mind that makes you feel like you can never overcome something. Some fear they may never get married or they'll marry the wrong person. Some fear losing a loved one, while another may fear failure. But why fear it?
I love what Joseph Smith said about this: "for where doubt is, there faith has no power;" (Lectures on Faith 3:20.) Fear, or doubt, is simply a sneaky tool that Mr. Beelzebub plants into your mind and heart. This kinda reminds me of that saying/quote/whatever: "Where light is, darkness cannot exist." Faith overcomes fear; these two emotions cannot coexist together. If people were to stop worrying about the things that hardly matter, or the things that we ultimately cannot control at the moment, and just have faith that everything will turn out the way they need to be, I think many people's life's would be much more joyous and less stressful. Just go with the flow and practice a little more trust in our Savior.
Proverbs 29:25 says it beautifully: "The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe." What a comfort that scripture should be. Complete faith in Christ does wonders. It shouldn't matter what others think about your decisions or desires because the only critic that matters is Christ. But I also think not only should we put our trust in the Lord, but we have to grow to trust those around us. This is sounding a little contradictory, but hear me out. You can't get close to someone without having complete faith and trust in them. If you don't trust those around you, then you're stuck in your own little world. I definitely believe we need to have others around us in whom we can trust and confide in. I know I wouldn't be where I am today had I not those around me I could have complete trust in and rely on to be examples.
Here are a couple other scriptures that I liked: 1 John 4:18, D&C 67:3, and D&C 60:2-3. Don't let fear be your lotion in life. Don't let it hinder you and your amazing abilities. Go forward in faith conquering your fears.
How to Train Race-Specific for all Terrains
1 year ago






4 comments:
You have the best blogs!! I haven't had any good blog ideas lately and sadly my blog is just a bunch of fluff!
I love your post! I examined fear (like scary movie fear) a few years ago and ever since then I have had a good grasp on reality.
Fear of the future however I still need to tackle.
So deep...
very deep.. good thoughts on fear and faith in christ
Lydie...your posts are so awesome! And I always seem to need to hear (read) something you write about! I just wanted to tell you that I love you to death and I look up to you more than you will ever know! You are so amazing! I ♥ your guts and face off!
Post a Comment