Saturday, January 2, 2010

Adventure Is Out There

Now that Las Vegas thought it was, for some reason, not a good idea to have a 7-11 on every other corner, I had to look up the nearest location to my cousin Chelsea’s house. As I went online to the store locator, it showed a map of the US and all the 7-11’s throughout the country and I will tell you, I was surprised at what I saw. This is why so many of my friends think I am crazy about my love for Slurpees…they have a lack of them, if any, in their state!! I thought everyone enjoyed the glory of Slurpees. I guess not. So, on your behalf, I shall drink my amazing Slurpee in honor of you as I write this post.

As I’m sure you could tell, this post was inspired by “Up.” As I watched the movie a few nights ago, it inspired me. It made me think of the things I want to do in my life. I’ll be graduating soon and I need to figure out the rest of my life. Of course I’m striving to go to the temple more, get married, have an amazing family, and live happily, eternally, ever after, but what about the events in the middle?

It feels like I bring this book up in almost every post, but that’s how much I love it: 2001 Things to Do Before You Die. I think I like this book so much because I’m a doer. I haven’t always been this way, but now I love putting my mind to something, pushing myself, and getting the “job” done. So why not use this little book to fill in all the middle pieces of life? I’ve put things like “Read the Bible Dictionary word for word” or “Drive to another state just to get a Slurpee” in there. Or they provide you with a vast array of things to do, like, one that I want to do so badly, “Stroll the Champs-Elysées.” My question for you is, can you “stroll” on a bike? Because I think it would be SO much more amazing to ride a bike down the Champs-Elysées than to just stroll…but I guess I can do both when I get to Paris, someday.

I digress.

As I was watching the “Special Features,” they were showing how a group of the animators went to Venezuela to hike the tepuyes. It was beautiful! While I was watching, I wanted to be there right with them; hiking up 2000-3000 feet to witness God’s creations that many will never see. Sounds like a dream, a dream I want to do. Some of you may think I am crazy, but “adventure is out there!” Who wants to come with me…whenever I go and have the money to do it?! ;) So I think I’m adding “Hike the Tepuyes of Venezuela” in my book.

Now don’t get me wrong, I'm making myself sound like I want to be a busy body all my life and travel everywhere at no expense, but this is not true. My favorite line from the movie is from the ever so cute, small mailman, Russell: “Sometimes it’s the boring stuff that I remember the most.” I couldn’t agree more. I love the moments when I can just sit; sitting with a friend chatting about whatever, reminiscing with family about when we were kids, pondering by myself about my life and what my Father's will for me is, or just being there in silence. What ever it may be, others may think it’s boring, or I’m bored because we’re just sitting there doing “nothing,” but as Russell said, some of those moments are the times I remember and love the most. So even if I can’t “Grow a handlebar mustache or mutton chops” or the other things I’ll add to my book, I will be perfectly happy with the simple, “boring” things in my life. I will love it all.

Oh, and Happy New Year! I wish you all the best!

(In case you were wondering, yes, my Slurpee was delicious.)

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I miss Slurpees!!! It's been too long since I've had one...

tacy said...

I am one of those sad few who doesn't have access to slurpees :( But I do love them when I can get them.
I love our book as well! I spent the holiday memorizing the title of the play: "The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade" and learning how to spell hors d'oeuvres.
And I totally agree with Russell, it is the boring things I often remember. I can remember word for word some of the late night conversations I've had with people, but my accident (which I think was a major "exciting" event in my life) seems like a dream...like it never happened.

The Cordell Cruiser said...

touche, I watched that on my date Friday night, with my 2 year old nephew.

The Cordell Cruiser said...

and I would totally count strolling a bicycle's ability.

aubrey said...

this made me almost cry. i needed it. thanks lyd. i wish we got to hang more. love you. <3