Friday, March 25, 2011

PAUSE THE MUSIC

Yes, please pause my music.  :)

One of the things I like about traveling alone is that it's a time for myself.  I don't have to entertain someone or think of something clever to say.  Yes, I do love traveling with others, but sometimes it's nice to drive alone.

While I was driving home from Rexburg a couple weekends ago, I drove all the way home without listening to a single thing other than my thoughts, my own voice, and the sound of the road.  It was a glorious thing.  I challenge you do this sometime.  Not just for one hour, but for multiple.

What I thought about for a good portion of the time was our mind and its abilities.  It's an amazing creation.  Without it, we cannot function.  It is our power source.  We can do so much with it, but yet we actually use very little of it.

I can create a full situation, conversation, or event, complete with faces and actual feeling, all by thinking of what I know, perceive, and want.  I just have to imagine it and it's there, playing in my mind's eye like I'm watching a movie.

I can recall past events that happened years ago.  I can remember who I was with, what they said, how I responded, what I was feeling, smelling, etc.

Another example of the power of our mind is within exercise.  The first sign of fatigue actually happens with the mind; a mental fatigue.  You think you can't go any further, but you really can.  I personally learned this while running/training for my marathon.  I quickly learned if I thought of something else other than my body, I could keep going.  When I thought I could go no further, I pushed myself, and I was able to go much further...until my body fail me momentarily. (Dang lack of glycogen.) With mental training, you can go much further than you actually think you can.

All in all, I'm blessed with a sound mind and I'm very grateful for that.



Changing subject, turn to song number 46, "Mika"
I thought I would also use this as a time to do a quick update.  I've haven't been up to much, really.  Going to school, working, and doing church things comprise of most of my life as of now.
I have a goal to go to all the temples in Utah before I go on my mission and of the 13 that are built, I only have 3 more to go.  If you're in the area, you're invited to go to those last few with me.  (Manti, Monticello, and Vernal)
I've made a few trips here and there to visit friend's in Logan and Rexburg, one of which trips I got to see Brian Regan, and yes, he is hilarious.
Some of my fabulous Rexburg friends (I only knew two (Ben and his roommate Bryce)) came down one weekend to do a 58.5 mile relay race with me.  Man!!  It was a BLAST!!  SO much fun!  I'm happy I was able to make some great new friends, see my past ones, finish about 5th of 12 groups, and eat some yummy food.  It was such a fun day.
And last but not least, by all means;....Uh, I think I'll write a separate post about this one.  It's too good for a brief mention.  ;)


Here we are in our glory, at the finish.
(Me, Valerie, Emma, Ben, Bryce, Shawn, and James)


Smiling.  And probably dancing a little too.

4 comments:

Lauren Nelson said...

I get 10 hours of that alone driving time tomorrow haha. I think we get it from dad...he loves it

Lauren Nelson said...

This is not Laur Dizzle btw

Susan said...

That's probably where I get it too. Dad and his silent or listening to AM driving. Good times. Are you coming back up here?!

Susan said...

And this is Lyd, not mom btw.