Sunday, July 12, 2009

Just Keep Running, Running, Running!!

Please go to the music on the left side of my blog, scroll to my most favorite song to run to, number 18, by Herb Albert and The Tijuana Brass, and proceed by reading my blog post.

As most of you know, I'm training for a marathon!! Crazy, I know. I've hated running, um, my whole life, but things change. Anyway, I'm following a running schedule for Novice runners and it seems pretty good. So I've worked my way from being able to run a single mile without stopping to being able to run 10 miles!! (Oh, and by run, I mean jog.) And the miles will just get bigger, and bigger, and bigger!!

This first map is one I did a couple weeks ago. I was trying to find something that was down hill...turns out there was actually a lot of up hill. This may have been the reason why my knee got so messed up for a couple days. :\ Anyway, check it out. (If you click on "view elevation" on the bottom left, it will allow you to zoom in/out and toggle as well as show you the correct elevation I ran. (The elevation on the little screen on the upper right is not correct.)) Have fun!





This was meant to be a 10 mile run, but when you're driving it in your car, it get a little off. Close enough...and my knee needed that break anyway.

For the next weeks run (June 28-July 4)...I didn't do it all. Running 12 miles when your at an elevation of 10,400 ft. when your normally at 5,000 is a laughing matter. I didn't even give it a try. (Plus, I was busy paintballing and four wheeling anyway.) :) So, I missed a week (pretty much) of running. This week, (as in July 5-11) on Saturday I was supposed to fun 13 miles, but since I didn't run the week before, and being a little cautious not to mess up my knee again, I decided to stick with 10 miles again. This time I wanted to find a run that was actually mostly down hill (Top of Utah has about 14 miles down hill.) My mom found the perfect spot, just 2 miles away from my house, American Fork Canyon. Can I say BEAUTIFUL!!! (Why haven't I been up there before?!?!) Here's what I did. (Do the same for the larger screen and elevation.)





So much better!! And I knocked about 30 minutes off from the previous 10 miles! Given, it was down hill, but that's what I'm training for. AND I didn't have a knee that was hurting with ever step. I must say a little "Thank you" to my mom for being my "chaser." I would have been fine if she just dropped me off and then picked me up. She insisted really. Because it was so secluded and I started earlier in the morning, she was a little scared. "Oh! And there's bears!!!" haha Oh mom. I couldn't help but laugh a little at that one. I doubt a bear would attack a noisy runner with cyclist going up and down the mountain along side me most of the way. But hey, it's always good to know someone's lookin out for ya! -even if she wasn't there actually chasing me the whole time! Thanks goodness.

So there you have it! Just wanted to brag a little. ;)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap so how long is a marathon? And 10 miles really?? I think I would die! And my luck my chaser would run me over in the middle of the road! Your mom sounds like my mom, she would do the exact same thing and probably make me carry bear spray. Moms are awesome at worrying! Good luck with your marathon!

Lyd said...

haha A marathon is 26.2 miles. So I'm almost half way there!! I have about 10 more weeks of training, so it would be good. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it!! And I love the whole "bear spray" bit!! haha That would be awesome!! haha Thanks!! :D

tacy said...

Lyd you are AMAZING! even more proof that YOU can do anything you set your mind to!!! I LOVE it!!

Nicole said...

geeze Lyd... That's awesome!! It's been a long time since I ran that much!! Can't wait to see you soon!! :)

Ryan & Lauren Nelson said...

Good Job Lydia!! You are so awesome! I am so excited for you to do a whole marathon. Jealous actually:) What a fun thing to say that you did!

Bree :--) said...

Sooo cool. Seriously, I always hear people say that they hated running, then they trained for a marathon, and now they love it! I just swear that would never happen to me. I hate running! Where's like the breaking point for you? Like when it seems to all the sudden get easier? Maybe I just stop before I'm ever even warmed up! ha. Dang. I need to get it together. WAY TO GO!

Lyd said...

Dude, it could totally happen to you. Like I said, I HATED running!! Then all the sudden, one day, during Christmas break to be precise, I wanted to start running. I don't know why, but I wanted to. And it was perfect because Michelle wanted to start running as well.

As for my breaking point, I don't know if I ever had one. If I get something in my head that I really want something, then I do it, and find a way to enjoy it. It may have been a release from some unknown thing (maybe my hatred of running) and a way that I could just go. (That didn't really make any sense.) Listening to fabulous music always helps. I actually really enjoy myself while running. Gives me even more time to just think...even if I do it all day anyway.

As for a breaking point miles wise, I would say that 6 is pretty perfect. 3 is too short to get into a rock solid groove, that's when you start getting into it. 6 is perfect for me, but I can go more. It just depends on the day really. Plus, I need to get new shoes and my running analyzed, and I'm sure it will get better from there. Maybe one day, when you get out of the heat, you should give running/jogging a try. I know you hate it, so did I, but it's totally worth it, sore muscles and all!

aubrey said...

im so jealous! you are awesome! <3

Unknown said...

T-Boo! I dind't know you had a blog! I'm so proud of you for running! The last time I went running was like, 3 months ago and for only 2 miles or something. You're amazing!
Anyway, I'm adding you to my bloglist, ours is DustinandErika.blogspot.com
Peace out!

Lyd said...

Perfect. I'm adding you. :)