Sunday, June 14, 2009

“Yagottawanna”



So, like most of my posts, I never publish them when I first write them. I tend to think too much and get into too much detail. This one was delayed from the lack of me wanting to sit down and finish it, and because I have been out of town quite a bit for the past couple weeks. ANYWAY, this was originally written on the 2nd of June. So, enjoy the lateness of it, and I'll have some more fun stuff up MAYBE this week.

______________________________________________


Today I was practicing a clogging dance from my last weeks class that I wasn't able to attend in Rexburg. I would have "attended" the class via Skype, but Gary's camera wasn't working. So, I had one of the guys send me a video of the dance, and I learned it tonight so I can be up to speed when I go up to Rexburg this coming Thursday. As I finished learning it, the thought came to me that I have a true passion for dance and have a desire to become the best that I can be. Then I started thinking about other aspects of my life that I have a greater desire to become better with.


With dance, I have always had a passion for it. I've been doing it all my life and I am truly grateful for this amazing gift. When I was younger, I know I took advantage of it and didn't try my best. But then when I wanted to get on the dance team, I practiced, and practiced, and practice. And it paid off. After making it onto the highest team, I got comfortable again. From there, I think I was let down, not only by myself, but by others. My passion was fading; I still loved dance, but being on a team with such great talent, not being amongst the best, and having dance teachers and directors with "blinders" on, I felt I could not succeed. Teachers should build you up, not crush you to make you feel as if you're the scum on their shoe. I still love these women (it should mostly just be woman), even though they put me through some hard times, I definitely learned some lessons from them.

By being back in dance at school, the atmosphere is TOTALLY different!! There is no competition and the teachers want the best for you and not for how many first prize trophies "we" get. These are some of the best teachers I have ever had (up at BYU-I) and I hold them dear to my heart. What I'm trying to say, is that such teachers like Gary, (for example (we all know he's the best anyway :) )) are the types of teachers that everyone needs. He builds you up, wants the best for you, helps you when you're in need, pushes you to the limit, gives you challenges, has some great council, and is always there for a laugh. He, and other teachers, have rekindled my love and passion for dance. If I travel 4 hours to Rexburg just to take a 2 hour clogging class every other week and then go back to Utah the next morning, this has to say something. If I attempt to take classes over the internet when I can't be there and if I learn dances in my garage from watching videos, this says something. I actually feel appreciated and needed...such as being a TA for Gary's class next semester (I just had to slip that one in there. haha) That's why I keep going back for more! I have a true desire for dance and I want to better the gifts I have been given! "It is truly amazing what words of support and praise can do to an impressionable youth seeking balance and acceptance." - G (That quote defines the
difference between the teachers at BYU-I and at my past studio.)



See, nice and sweaty from practicing clogging in the garage via Skype! :D


I have other such desires, but I'm just going to use dance as my example since this is where my thought process started. Anyway, I search "desire"and I found this talk that was given by Elder Jack H Goaslind in '91. “Yagottawanna” I highly suggest reading it. It really is an amazing talk. These are some of the points that I really enjoyed:

Individuals who do right and hunger and thirst after [righteous desires] get and keep alive through their actions the feeling to do right. In contrast, those who do not act out their righteous desire place themselves in a dangerous position. As C.S. Lewis said, "The more often [a person] feels without acting, the less he will be able to ever act, and, in the long run, the less he will be able to feel."

I full heartedly agree!! If we want something, we need to act NOW before we loose that feeling of desire and determination. C.S. Lewis always seems to hit it on the nose.

Desire is the beginning of faith. The Lord will bless you "even if ye can no more than desire to believe." If we let it, this desire will grow into a mature faith that can make things happen.

You know what they say about the mustard seed!!

When you are pure in you heart, when you desire that which is good, true, and beautiful, then you can avoid the pitfalls of life.

And here I close. I love what that has to say. Makes me want to always have a positive attitude on the outlook of my life. Avoiding the pitfalls of life?! Yes please! I'd like a hefty order of that. And don't hold the tasty Vlasic Pickle on the side!

3 comments:

tacy said...

Lyd!! I love it! You are SUCH a good dancer and I KNOW you can do whatever you put your heart to!
Great talk by the way! Thanks for sharing!!

Ashley O said...

I liked this! A lot. And I TOTALLY know what you mean in the 3rd and 4th paragraphs. I got better at BYU than I did when I was younger. Like you said. :) And Gary was definitely one of the teachers that made me feel like I could ACTUALLY dance. He's amazing. You're amazing. Let's go up there soon! Toogezzah!

Lyd said...

Of course we are exactly the same. And yes. Gary and some of my other teachers at BYU-I know how to give constructive criticism while adding praises. They make you want to dance. And that's why I <3 them!!

Um....LET'S!!! We need to! Let's plan it soon!
Holla!