Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Star in the Milky Way aka My Triathlon

One single star is no comparison to the other 400 billion that make up the Milky Way, but each individual star makes this marvelous galaxy what it is. So shall this triathlon be the same for me; it will be but one of the many I shall do throughout my life time. It's my starting block to an amazing journey of splendor.

On June 5th, I competed in my first triathlon: Salem Spring Sprint Triathlon. Oh and let me tell you, it was glorious. Not quite what I was expecting, but it was better, much better than I was thinking it was going to be. Here is the quick (I hope) run through:

Swimming: 800yd
Not as bad as I thought! The wet suit was amazing (thanks again Ben and Laura!) and I wouldn't have been able swim without it, literally, they were required. I was expecting the water to be at glacial temperatures, but surprisingly it was quite nice! As for the swimming, not my best. I had a problem with my breathing. Long story short, I wasn't able to get all


my air out during my strokes, soooo, I was on my back a lot of the time. But I finished and it was grand.

Cycling: 13.5 miles
Now this is my strong suit for sure! Pretty much passed over half my age division (who had passed me in the swimming) so this made up for some precious lost time. Nothing really needs to be said about this because really, every second of the cycling was fabulous.

Running: 5k (3.1 miles)
Typical. Nothing out of the blue. I should have gone a little faster...but I didn't, I don't know why.

It took me about 1 hour and 35 minutes to finish, which needless to say was much better than I thought I was going to do. I ended up taking 10th place in my age division of about 25 or so people, so not too shabby. I'm proud I did it and plus, I got a sweet tan!!! My number (319) is etched into my flesh because I got a sun burn and my watch tan is just getting darker and darker. It's beautiful really...no matter what my mom says (she hates it.)


So yeah, it was amazing! I'm addicted. I want to do these for the rest of my life. Fo really reals. Now I'm getting ready for next week's event --> Ragnar. Yes, I said I didn't get in, but unforeseen blessing happen. The story shall come in a little over a week.

11 comments:

Aaron and Megan said...

You're an amazing woman!! I've often thought about a triathalon and that is about as far as I got. Haha!

Amy and Woody said...

way to go! you're amazing

Megan said...

Lydia! Awesome! After reading that, you make me want to do a triathalon.

tacy said...

you CEASE to amaze me!!! I am now living my life vicariously through you, you ROCK!

Corinne Chidester said...

you are a BEAST

Lyd said...

Megan!! Do it!!! If you like running, then you'll like doing triathlons...or at least that's how it worked for me. haha It's so much fun!

Thanks you guys! :D

aubrey said...

you. are. my. HERO.

Audrey said...

You're freaking hardcore. And i love you for it. Throw some of your dedication my way. kthxbai

Audrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Cordell Cruiser said...

All life long, all life, all life long!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiLziusKW4s

Lyd said...

hahaha Zach, you're such a dork. Everyone's gotta love that good ol' Lionel Richie. :)